Your Private Data
The introduction of the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which came into force of 25th May 2018, provides additional rights to people who provide/share personal information with organisations within the EU. The South Downs Planetarium has always treated the personal data provided by members of the public with great care and we strongly believe in protecting your personal data.
Basis for obtaining Personal Data
When you contact the South Downs Planetarium we will ask for only the minimum personal information to enable us to carry out our obligations of booking you onto any of our shows, or an organised visit – this includes electronic payments. This information is obtained to enable us to fulfil our ‘contract’ with you. It is on this basis that we lawfully request and process your personal data.
Visitors to the South Downs Planetarium
The South Downs Planetarium lawfully processes your personal data; by which we mean we will create a list (name and contact details only) so that our staff on duty will know who to expect at each Planetarium show. We do not use your personal data for any other purpose, so you will not get e-mails, phone calls or letters from us unless you specifically sign up for our e-mail bulletin circulars.
We do not share, give, sell or otherwise pass on any personal data to other organisations except in the following circumstances:
- We are required to share information with HMRC for the purposes of reclaiming tax where Gift Aid has been offered to the South Downs Planetarium.
- A technical exception is where our internet service providers perform services to the South Downs Planetarium. We have ensured that such organisations are also GDPR compliant and hold data securely and in accordance with the European GDPR regulations. Our internet provider will not contact you, send Spam, adverts or other forms of communication as a result of our contract with them.
- The South Downs Planetarium would be required to share personal data if required to do so by law. Such circumstances would include for the prosecution of any offence committed.
- Also personal data would be shared if there are any legal disputes between the South Downs Planetarium and any visitor.
You have the right to ensure that we process your personal data fairly and where we do hold your personal data, that information is accurate. You also have the right to restrict our processing of your data. As described above, the ‘processing’ is simply to create an attendance list for each show, so one may consider this ‘processing’ to be rather benign. You have the right to ensure that we do not hold personal data about you longer than is necessary and to have that data removed (also known as the right to be forgotten or the right to erasure).
Data subject request
To make a request to see what data we hold, what processing the South Downs Planetarium does with your personal data or to have data erased, you should contact the South Downs Planetarium. You can make that request by either
- emailing email@example.com
and outline your request or
by printing a form from here and posting it to us at the address provided at the bottom of page
The South Downs Planetarium will have one month to respond to your request. There is no fee attached to making this request.
Data Breaches and Complaints
If you believe there has been a data breach with your personal data, you should immediately contact the South Downs Planetarium by email at
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and outline your concern.
We will immediately investigate the matter and report back to you.
The data breach will be investigated and findings reported back to
you. Further information regarding GDPR and making a complaint to a
higher authority can be found at the Information Commissioners
Should you require any further details, Please do not hesitate to contact the South Downs Planetarium.
Registered OfficeThe South Downs Planetarium and Science Centre,
Sir Patrick Moore Building
Published Date: May 2018